An easyJet flight with 180 passengers bound for Luton was forced to make an emergency landing in Rome after someone left a phone charging on a powerbank in their luggage
An easyJet flight was forced to make an emergency landing after a passenger left a phone charging on a powerbank in their luggage.
The easyJet plane was travelling from Hurghada in Egypt to Luton, but made an emergency landing in Rome at 11.30pm on Tuesday. The 180 passengers onboard were shocked when the captain announced: “There’s something we shouldn’t have in the hold.”
The carrier’s next flight from Rome to Luton was 2pm on Wednesday. Passengers were put up in hotels or slept in the terminal.
Paul Casterton, 57, who was travelling with partner Laura Bartlett, 61, told The Sun: “No one knew what to think. Suddenly the plane changed direction and made a descent. It was hard not to fear the worst.
READ MORE: American shot dead at Jamaica’s Sangster Airport after ‘attacking police’READ MORE: UK weather maps show when -1C freeze will end heatwave – just 5 counties at 10C
“It was stressful until we landed. There was almost a sense of relief when the woman confessed.
“Thank goodness it wasn’t a bomb in the hold. Word spread as to the true reason we had been diverted. It was quite an ordeal, but mostly relief that everyone was OK.”
Paul, a construction worker from Nottingham, said he paid £350 for an earlier Wizzair flight on Wednesday to get him home for an appointment.
EasyJet said: “Flight EZY2618 from Hurghada to Luton on May 19 diverted to Rome Fiumicino as the crew were informed a power bank was charging in luggage.
“The captain then diverted as a precaution in line with safety regulations. Safety is our highest priority. We would like to apologise to all passengers for any inconvenience.”










