Police were called out to a terraced home in Brighton and arrested a 19-year-old teenager in connection with the death of a man in his late 50s – a woman and child also sustained ‘serious injuries’
A child’s chilling screams were heard by neighbours on a residential street after a man was stabbed to death at a home in Brighton on Tuesday morning.
A teenager has since been arrested in connection with the death, Sussex Police confirmed, saying the teen was known to the victims. Emad Botros-Farag, 57, was pronounced dead at the scene after suffering a “significant head injury”, according to police. His wife, Maria Marvin, also 57, and her son Mario, 11, were also said to have been injured during the horrific knife rampage and sustained “serious injuries”. Police were called out to Hartfield Avenue in Hollingbury around 7.30am. After taking a 19-year-old man into custody, the force said they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the death.
19-year-old Fabio Botros, of Hartfield Avenue, Brighton, was arrested near the address. Today he was charged with murder and two counts of attempted murder. He has been remanded in custody to appear before Brighton Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.
It is thought that neighbours heard “loud screaming and shouting” coming from the terraced home, who then called the emergency services. Residents added that they saw Emad and Maria’s daughter shouting and banging against a window upstairs and pleading for someone to call the police.
They said that they could hear a child screaming “No, no! Stop. Help! Help!” The mum then fell out of the front door of the home where she bled on the lawn, reports the Sun.
Upon arriving, medics found Mr Farag, a Deliveroo driver, lying dead. While Mario was discovered injured but his sister, Giulia, is understood to have been unharmed. A shocked neighbour called Martin was getting ready for work at the time and heard the commotion.
He reportedly said: “I heard a child screaming: “No, no. Stop! Help! Help!’ and then shouts of ‘call the police, call the police.'” He said he then called the police “immediately” after seeing the “daughter hammering on the upstairs window shouting and screaming for help.”
Martin claimed he saw Maria stumble out of the house and “collapse on the lawn, seriously injured” and with “a lot of blood”. The neighbour went on to describe the family – originally from Egypt but having lived in the UK for years – as “very nice”.
He said: “They are a very nice family. They keep themselves to themselves, they’re very private, but they seem very pleasant. They always greet you if you say hello.”
Martin said the family had lived in the house for around two years and had been the perfect neighbours. “It’s just so tragic and shocking. I’d see the father going out to work in his silver car. He was a nice guy. He smiled a lot,” he added.
Other neighbours described seeing the incident and said that the police arrived quickly and could be heard shouting “get on the floor!” before leading a “young man” away in handcuffs. One said: “It’s just so alarming. I can’t believe it. I can’t believe someone lost their life in that house. I think I’m still in shock.”
Another neighbour, John, described the scene as “pandemonium” saying: “I heard the shouting and the crying and then armed police arrived en masse. It was over quite quickly and they led out this young lad in cuffs. He didn’t seem to be injured. I couldn’t see any blood on him.”
“I saw the daughter hammering on her window. She was screaming: ‘Call the police! Call the police! She looked totally distraught – there were tears pouring down her face,” said one neighbour.
Detective Chief Inspector Mark Cullimore said: “This was a shocking and tragic incident, and our thoughts are with those affected and their loved ones. Through our initial enquiries, it has been established that the victims and defendant are known to one another, and that the weapons involved are believed to be two knives and a hammer.
“We recognise the impact this incident has also had on the local community, and we want to reassure members of the public that charges have now been secured and we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this investigation. Our officers remain int he area conducting enquiries, and we are grateful for the support and patience of the public.”
Tributes were paid to Emad, who had been planning an Easter holiday with a family back to Egypt. A colleague called Andrew George said: “Emad was a lovely man, really kind and friendly. He was very well-liked by everyone and he would do anything for anyone. I can’t believe he’s gone. It’s tragic.”
Another added that “he had been a delivery driver for years” and was “dedicated” to his children. “It’s so shocking. Emad loved his family and was dedicated to his kids. He adored Mario and would have him with him in the car at weekends. They were were inseparable, ” said Ollie Johnston. He added: “We just can’t believe it. He had been a delivery driver for years and he was very much part of our community.
“We’re pretty tight-knit and he was just part of our group. He would do anything for anyone. He was a really lovely guy. He was a bit older than us and wasn’t so good with the technology side of things. We were like his IT support.”
While co-workers Dirceu Antunes and Mustafa Dayanc also paid tribute to Emad, calling him a “hardworking driver” and “loving father”. “He was just such a nice guy. He had a good sense of humour and he was a loving father,” said Dirceu.
Sussex Police Divisional Commander, Chief Superintendent Rachel Carr said: “Following an emergency call to police, an immediate response was sent to Hartfield Avenue, where sadly, a man was found deceased, and a woman and child were found seriously injured. A suspect is in custody and a fast-moving investigation is underway to establish exactly what happened and why.
“This is a tragic incident and we understand it will cause shock and alarm among the local community, however there is not believed to be a wider threat to the public at this time. Anyone who has information to report is asked to contact police online, or by calling 101 quoting Operation Catullus.”