Mystery shrouds the deaths of the couple after they were discovered lifeless in a residential property in Roseneath, the shore-front region of Wellington in New Zealand

A British couple have been found dead at home in New Zealand.

Worried relatives alerted police after they were concerned for the couple’s welfare. Officers searched the address in Roseneath, the shore-front region of Wellington, and discovered the couple, thought to be in their late 30s or early 40s, lifeless on Monday.

Neighbours have paid tribute to the Brits, who it is believed leave behind a son. He did not live with the couple, who were said to be “passionate about being in New Zealand and giving their family the experience of living here”. Police say it is unclear at this stage how the couple died.

Paul Prestige, a neighbour, described the pair as “very friendly people” and said they would regularly host dinner parties. The couple’s landlord said: “He was a clever, caring, charming man. She was vibrant, kind, intelligent and both of them made friends wherever they went.”

The landlord continued: “They were both absolutely wonderful human beings. Both they and their family lived life to the absolute full and were always planning or doing amazing adventures

“They were both such positive and incredible parents, friends, and members of many communities. We send our love and condolences to their family and friends.”

An investigation into the deaths continues but a detective from New Zealand Police assured residents they were not at risk. Haley Ryan, from the police force, said: “I want to provide assurance that there is no ongoing risk to the Roseneath community.” No further details about the couple, including where in the UK they were from and when they moved abroad, have been disclosed by authorities at this stage.

Roseneath is a beautiful suburb, particularly popular with people from overseas. The latest census – carried out in early 2020 – showed the percentage of people in Roseneath, who were born overseas was 34.6%, compared with 27.1% nationally across New Zealand.

The deaths come after tributes poured in this week to a Scottish dad, who passed away after a suspected gas explosion in his hotel in Rome. It is said burns affected around 75% of Grant Paterson’s body and, despite undergoing a skin graft, Mr Paterson, of East Kilbride, died of his injuries at Sant’ Eugenio Hospital. His daughter flew to Italy to be by his bedside.

And another British tourist died this week while snorkelling on a dream holiday in Indonesia with his body being found “floating lifeless.” The 81-year-old man was found just 15ft away from the cost of Gili Trawangan island in Indonesia. Local police said he had been sailing around the island with a group of tourists and then experienced difficulty in the water.

Share.
Exit mobile version