Thames Valley Police arrested Andrew, who turns 66 today, earlier this morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office and he is now in custody
Police are now carrying out searches at Berkshire and Norfolk after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Andrew currently lives at the Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, after he was forced to leave the Royal Lodge in Berkshire.
The former prince, who has been stripped of his titles, is in police custody, with photos showing unmarked police cars and plain-clothed officers appearing to gather outside his home on his 66th birthday.
The BBC said laptops, phones and communication devices could be seized from the Royal residences as part of the investigation.
Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest on Thursday following allegations made against the former prince after the release of millions of pages of files related to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
READ MORE: Andrew arrested by police in dramatic swoop on Sandringham home on birthday
Sean Coughlan, their royal correspondent, added: “This is another extraordinary development in what has been an extraordinary story. It’s hard to think of any precedent for the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the King’s brother. Andrew has consistently denied any wrongdoing, but this still has the capacity to shock and surprise as breaking news.”
Thames Valley Police previously said the force was reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the paedophile while serving as the UK’s trade envoy. Andrew has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Andrew was kicked out of the Royal Lodge in Windsor earlier this month, moving to the King’s Norfolk estate in the middle of the night to avoid attracting attention. He is believed to be staying in Wood Farm Cottage while Marsh Farm, believed to be his more permanent lodgings, are still undergoing much needed renovations.
Within days of Andrew’s arrival, locals made clear their feelings about the disgraced royal moving into the area. He was said to be “appalled” that his “cramped” new residence has just five bedrooms, with a source recently telling the Daily Mail: “He really didn’t want Marsh Farm… He won’t have lived anywhere that small since he left his apartment at Buckingham Palace.”
Shortly after his arrival, Chris Thompson told the Mirror that he didn’t think Andrew’s arrival was “a very good idea”, saying: “I would have thought King Charles is supporting him with his bills, but it’s a bit bleak out there. I don’t think there’ll be a lot there for him to do, really.”


